Parents As Teachers is here to help you!
Parents as Teachers (PAT) is a parent education and family support program serving families throughout pregnancy until their child turns three years of age.
Being a parent is hard work.
- In the first few years, children learn more and at a faster pace than at any other time in their life.
- You help shape your child’s future through the kinds of experiences you provide.
- Your baby was born to learn, and as a parent, you are your child’s first and most important teacher.
- Parents are supported by PAT-certified parent educators trained to translate scientific information on early brain
development into specific when, what, how, and why advice for families.
- By understanding what to expect during each stage of development, parents can easily capture the teachable moments in everyday life to enhance their child’s language development, intellectual growth, social development and motor skills.
As a PAT family, you receive:
- Personal Visits-during which your parent educator will share age-appropriate child development and parenting information, help you learn to observe your child and address your parenting concerns
- Parent Group Meetings-which are opportunities to share information about parenting issues and child development. Parents learn and support each other, observe their children with other children and practice parenting skills.
- Screenings- to assess your child’s overall development as well as health, hearing, and vision.
- Resource network-links your family to other community services.